The mule track of Mount Cengio
Cogollo del Cengio
Tel 0445 749500 (IAT Tonezza del Cimone)
Built by the 93rd Company of Zappatori of the 1st Engineer Regiment between 1917 and 1918. The mule track (also known as The Granatiera, in honour of the "Grenadiers of Sardinia", who fought fierce battles in the area) involves mostly natural ledges, in some places there are also tunnels carved directly in the rock.
Despite broad daylight and given the withdrawal of troops, it was decided to implement the ascent of materials and soldiers in order to strengthen the defences of Mount Cengio, which now, as a result of the Austro-Hungarian offensive, became the last western bastion of the Italian army on the Sette Comuni Plateau.